Sometimes crazy changes need to be performed to adjust how storage is laid out and arranged. In this instance converting an existing (but non-critical) RAID1 mdadm array to RAID0 (even less critical) is the far-fetched requirement.
For experimental reasons I was running a RAID0 array (the speed!) off of two Sandisk Cruiser Mini USB sticks connected to a Raspberry PI.
As expected, due to wear and tear one of the flash memories eventually failed causing the array to go read-only and crash everything that was writing to it, including the array activation.
After migrating a RAID volume to new disks it’s handy to keep a full partition backup around.
For this we can use partclone, a handy smart backup utility which is capable of recognizing multiple filesystem structures and then save only used data.
Every once in a while hardware needs to be replaced. Sometimes boards, sometimes CPUs and sometimes drives. Drives are the ones most difficult to replace as they hold all that precious data one does not want to lose.
I personally hate reinstalling stuff; so I try as much as possible to “migrate” my data around. In this tutorial I’ll be replacing two drives under a RAID1 array with two newer bigger drives (and resize the array accordingly).
I decided to rearrange space a bit on the new CentOS server I am setting up…
This tutorial lists the steps I took to resize (grow) a functional RAID1 volume to a new size without losing data.